Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Third Time's the Charm in NYC

On Tuesday I got to go to New York City for the third time in a row with my oldest daughter as a chaperon for her annual high school art field trip.  This year was extra special for a lot of reasons.  One was that my oldest son and wife also got to attend.  Two I got to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art for the first time, which was incredible.  And three...well, you'll just have to read further to find out.  But first some random pictures that are somewhat comic related:


Iron Man lands on top of a cab (sort of).
This picture isn't the best because of the reflection in the bus window, but we went thru the Holland  Tunnel this year, instead of the Lincoln and we ended up driving up the West Side next to the Hudson River.  This reminded me of when the Fantastic Four had their headquarters on Pier 4 in the Heroes Return Claremont days.
I really wanted to see this bronze sculpture, because I remember Firestorm encountering some Alice in Wonderland characters way back in 1982.


I checked it again today and while Firestorm is found in Central Park, these statues are from a children's zoo.  Still I can't help but think the one I saw was the inspiration for this story.


Did I tell you how big this thing was!


Let that Be Your Last Battlefield?  Hmmm.  Maybe Museums are where artists and writers get a lot of their ideas?

I thought I had found the longstanding location of Marvel Comics on Park Avenue, but I had the address wrong.
But I did find the Current address
I was hoping to see an index in the lobby, but there was nothing.  It's real close to Rockefeller  Center.  To think I help pay rent on this place with my monthly comics -- must be why Marvel charges more for cheaper paper.
This carefully framed picture kinda goes hand in hand with the next one.

Draw your own conclusions.  Personally, I go to the UK Daily Mail for my online news nowadays.
Now for big event of the day captured in all its YouTube glory!


Two years ago on our first trip, the cast of Doctor Who were doing a book signing in Manhattan.  Last year they had just filmed scenes for Angels Take Manhattan (but they were still in town).  This year we discovered that Arthur Darvill (Rory) was in town for one week only to participate in the Off-Broadway musical "Once".  We were going to be gone before show time, so we hung out near the stage door (eating pizza) and met him on his way in.  The video above captures most of the event.  He was super nice and you can read more about it from my daughter's perspective here.


I just think this is cool (in the American Wing of the Met)

I've got more pictures (like Charlotte trying to replicate the Central Park scenes from "Angels"), but this isn't my own personal travel log (except maybe once a year).  Anyway, I hope you enjoyed a taste of my travels to NYC.  I'm already looking forward to next year.  Wish I had taken a picture of those awesome chocolate cookies dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with almonds from the Off-Broadway Pizzeria and Deli on 8th avenue.  Boy those were good.



It's just as well that I didn't talk about the books I got this week, because with the exception of Jupiter's Legacy and East of West, I didn't enjoy most of them.  I can see me pulling some titles from my pull list soon (like Fantastic Four and FF).  We'll see -- something's got to give.  Even with my digital sales, I'm spending too much on books I don't have time to read or enjoy fully.
Okay, one more picture of me and my beloved.

I've got a bunch of stuff on ebay listed, if anyone is interested. I need the money.



No comments:

Post a Comment