Sunday, April 28, 2013

Comics Covers Sunday -- The Vigilante

I'm doing a quick pinch-hit for Lee today before Sunday School.  I just listed my Vigilante collection on ebay yesterday and I was impressed about all the great covers.  It really made me want to read the series again.  Enjoy!  And if you're interested you can buy them here:
These are actual scans from my copies.  I remember #19 being one of my favorites with art by Denis Cowan, who drew the Question series (also on sale right now) -- desperate plug.

This series did great job transitioning from the pre-Crisis to post-Crisis universes without missing a beat.

#1 -- Nov 1983 -- Keith Pollard

#11 -- Oct 1984 -- Ross Andru/Dick Giordano


#13 -- Dec 1984 -- Gil Kane 

#17 -- May 1985 -- Paris Cullins+
(Alan Moore story) 

 #19 -- July 1985 -- Denis Cowan
(I remember this being one of my favorites)

#25 -- Jan 1986 -- Dan Day 

#27 -- Mar 1986 -- Joe Kubert 

#28 -- Apr 1986 -- Bill S (I can't spell his name) 

#29 -- May 1986 -- Marshall Rogers 

#31 -- July 1986 --  Denis Cowan 

#35 -- Nov 1985 -- John Byrne 

#36 -- Dec 1986 -- Mike Grell 

#40 -- Apr 1987 -- Howard Chaykin 

#46 -- Oct 1987 -- Tod Smith 
(Series Artist for the most part) 

 #50 -- Feb 1988 -- Ken Stacy

Annual #2 1986 -- Brian Bolland

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the coverage Matthew! I always enjoyed the covers to this series. #50 was interesting because it was one of the first time a lead committed suicide to end the series. Talk about going out with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! It was a blessing to get it together so fast. I was going to "lift" the pics from comicvine, but they weren't clear enough -- hence the scanning. I remember reading that Chase's suicide was envisioned if not at the inception, long before the series ended. How can you live the duo life of Judge and Executioner and not be messed up?

    ReplyDelete