Thursday, January 17, 2013

DC Preview Reviews For March and April – It Really Is You – You’ve Changed


Jim: So I decided that I need to get more current with the DC Preview Reviews since the April solicitations just came out I figured might us well tackle both months. Plus I hate what DC is doing right now. I’m concerned that the group of characters that I really loved at one point are being abused and misused.

Where Marvel seems to be coming to the table with book after book after book with a plan of attack and a one or two year plan for stories or a story, DC is constantly changing on the fly. Announcing Gail Simone on and off Batgirl, announcing creators and pulling them before they even get started and other head scratching decisions is driving me away from the books. The cancellation of I, Vampire was a bleak announcement. Joshua Fialkov says he got to write his ending which is a good thing, but it smacks of DC not supporting critical favorites like they used to do. Heck the trade sales were off the charts, so it must have been making money.

In April the Vertigo offering was down to Unwritten, the two Fable titles and the last issue of Saucer Country. Vertigo was a big part of what I got from DC and with that and Before Watchmen off the table it is almost down to Snyder and Lemire books being all I want or care to read. I will still follow some stuff here and there but my hope that DC will turn this around has faded. Instead of turning it around I believe that it is going down the toilet.

Shawn: I was always a huge Vertigo supporter, but even with the Snyder and Lemire books coming out this year, I think the imprint's days are numbered. I am hoping DC offers Fialkov more books, and Sorrentino is partially illustrating the last issue of I,Vampire. Perhaps Fialkov will spin some of the characters out of that title into a new book. I'll be honest, I like Lemire and Fawkes, but Fialkov would have been my choice for Justice League Dark. But if they don't give him anymore work, that's ok. Dynamite and Marvel already have. 

I was turned off by the last minute creative shuffling, and I have been less than enthusiastic about many of their announcements lately. Ending Hellblazer? Gah. With all due respect to the work Lemire has been doing in JLD, that guy is not Constantine. Especially after that horrible Zero Issue. After the Simone fiasco it really does seem like the Powers-That-Be are running around like chickens with their heads cut off.


MARCH

GREEN ARROW #18
Written by JEFF LEMIRE
Art and cover by ANDREA SORRENTINO

On sale MARCH 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• Oliver Queen has lost everything: His company, his money, his friends and most of his arrows. It’s all because of one man: Komodo, who has come to tear Ollie’s life to shreds!
• From the ashes, Ollie must uncover the secrets of his father’s past — secrets of the island and Ollie’s own uncanny ability with the bow.
WONDER WOMAN #18
Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO
Art by TONY AKINS and DAN GREEN
Cover by CLIFF CHIANG

On sale MARCH 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.
• We’ve seen the history Wonder Woman shares with Ares — but what does the God of War have planned for her future?
BATMAN, INCORPORATED #9
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art and cover by CHRIS BURNHAM

On sale MARCH 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• The fallout from last month’s shocking turn of events has Batman on the run!
• Is The Dark Knight a murderer?

BATMAN AND ROBIN #18
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
On sale MARCH 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• You dare not miss this issue!
• It’s the BATMAN AND ROBIN story of the year!
BATMAN #18
Written by SCOTT SNYDER 
Backup story written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV
Art by ANDY KUBERT and SANDRA HOPE
Backup story art by ALEX MALEEV
Cover by GREG CAPULLO
On sale MARCH 13 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
• Welcome guest-artist Andy Kubert!
• In the wake of unspeakable tragedy, Batman is in danger of losing his humanity!
• And in the backup story, fan-favorite character Harper Row returns—but will she be able to pull Batman back from the brink?

DETECTIVE COMICS #18
Written by JOHN LAYMAN
Art and cover by JASON FABOK
Backup story art by ANDY CLARKE

On sale MARCH 6 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
• Batman vs. The Penguin!
• The stakes are high, and even if Batman wins he loses!
• Plus, in the backup feature, it’s the origin of Ignatius Ogilvy, the new criminal kingpin of Gotham City.

I, VAMPIRE #18
Written by JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV
Art by SCOTT CLARK
Cover by ANDREA SORRENTINO

On sale MARCH 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
• A major character dies in this issue as the struggle for Andrew Bennet’s soul comes to a conclusion!
• Find out what happens next after this huge change in the status quo of the series!
Jim: And that is it. For the entire month of March those are the books I most excited to read and get. Now I’m still getting some other titles, but every other title I could easily drop with a subtle push. Reviewing the above list there are two titles going to be cancelled; I, Vampire next month and Batman Inc. in a few months when Grant finishes his story line. Also 4 of those books are Batman books and of the other two cape books one is by Lemire and one is by Azzarello. DC is just not offering any level of true excitement. No new number ones, no exciting creative team taking over an established book, in part because they now have no established books. The creative shuffle means no title has any sense of continuity. I can look forward to Remender, Fraction, Bendis, Aaron and other writers being at the helm of their Marvel titles for months and years to come. I’m not sure who is writing a DC book even after they announce it.
Shawn: You and I just are a dying breed, my friend. We are DC fans who just don't get that excited about DC books much anymore. The above list is quite awesome nonetheless. I am looking forward to Green Arrow, think Wonder Woman is getting better, and the Bat-books are still strong. Alex Maleev drawing a backup Batman story? Yes please. I am very sad at the ending of I,Vampire and it makes me like the publisher a little less. Still, a low selling book like this one, even with critical acclaim, may not have lasted nineteen issues at Marvel. If DC is smart they will give Fialkov another book, but given their track record lately they will probably just give it to Scott Lobdell.

TALES OF BATMAN: ARCHIE GOODWIN HC
Written by ARCHIE GOODWIN and JAMES ROBINSON 
Art by WALTER SIMONSON, ALEX TOTH, GENE HA and others 
Cover by JIM APARO
On sale MAY 8 • 480 pg, FC, $39.99 US
• These tales from legendary writer Archie Goodwin focus on The Dark Knight as a hero who stands against the monstrous forces of the night. Includes the Manhunter saga, which culminates in a Batman team-up.
• Collecting DETECTIVE COMICS #437-443, DETECTIVE COMICS ANNUAL #3, SHOWCASE ‘95 #11, LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #132-136, BATMAN: NIGHT CRIES and BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE #1 and 4.
Jim: I have enormous respect for Archie Goodwin and have heard that many in the industry considered him to be a great editor. I was saddened by his death, but I was glad to see this collection. I hope that Archie’s family or estate benefits from this book. I also wish DC would do more than slap these books together. A five page retrospective and or a front piece ahead of each story would be nice. I’m guessing a contents page will be the extent of any work being put into this book. DC used to be the top hard cover producer, now they are no better than Marvel.
Shawn: I would not mind reading this, but I usually do not spend money on large hardcovers with very specific exceptions. There are some excellent creators in this collection though.

APRIL

Jim: Okay no need to rehash my same commentary/rant about the same books, so I will list what is exciting me for April outside of the normal book selections that I have mentioned above.
Okay – that is it for the regular monthly comics. As you can see (or not see) nothing, absolutely nothing outside of the above, has me giddy. Oh wait it is all gatefold covers, oh wow that is super exciting. Worse I heard some cover ideas were made up by the editors and the writer had to come up with the story. It was a cute idea by Julie Schwartz in the sixties when comics were being written for 8-12 year olds, today not so much. Of course DC feels like it is being run by 8 year olds.
Shawn: Saw some of the art for the covers. Not impressed.

SOLO DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by DARWYN COOKE, JEPH LOEB, BRIAN AZZARELLO, RICHARD CORBEN, TIM SALE, JOHN ARCUDI, HOWARD CHAYKIN, MICHAEL ALLRED, NEIL GAIMAN, STEVEN T. SEAGLE, SERGIO ARAGONES, MARK EVANIER, BRENDAN McCARTHY and others
Art by TIM SALE, RICHARD CORBEN, PAUL POPE, HOWARD CHAYKIN, DARWYN COOKE, JORDI BERNET, MICHAEL ALLRED, TEDDY KRISTIANSEN, SCOTT HAMPTON, DAMION SCOTT, SERGIO ARAGONES and BRENDAN McCARTHY
Cover by TIM SALE
On sale JUNE 5 • 568 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $49.99 US
• At last, the acclaimed 12-issue series SOLO is collected, featuring the work of some of comics’ greatest creators, including Darwyn Cooke, Tim Sale, Paul Pope and so many others. With stories starring Batman, Robin, Superman, The Spectre, The Teen Titans and more, as well as westerns, war stories, science fiction epics, humor and horror, this is a collection you won’t want to miss!
• Collects SOLO #1-12.
Jim: Well I’m worried about the quality of the book and I’m worried about the no extras but this material is an easy sell for me. I just wish DC still had projects like this on occasion.
Shawn: Agreed. I read a couple of these as they came out, but certain issues are impossible to find. I might actually shell out money for this one. DC should invest in getting some of these creators back on their current titles! 

THE CAPTAIN COMET ARCHIVES HC
Written by JOHN BROOME, GERRY CONWAY and others
Art by CARMINE INFANTINO, MURPHY ANDERSON and others
Cover by CARMINE INFANTINO
ADVANCE SOLICIT • On sale AUGUST 21 • 400 pg, FC, $75.00 US
• Captain Comet faces alien invasions and weird monsters from distant worlds in these stories from DC’s classic science fiction series STRANGE ADVENTURES, as well as his 1970s adventures!
• Collects STRANGE ADVENTURES #9-44, 46 and 49, and SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #2-6.
Jim: Now this is something I’m truly excited about. DC has a rich and vast library of stuff like this that will never see the light of day in any other fashion. I have always had an affection for this character with no strong rationale for why. I finally get all his classic 50’s adventures in one book. Now I want Space Cabbie, The Star Rovers and all the crazy crap they did making the Metal Men human, making the Blackhawks super heroes, the insane Challenger material fighting bad guys that made the Doom Patrol feel normal and more. I wish Dark Horse had the publishing rights for all the sci-fi stuff of DC as they are doing all sorts of Gold Key and other material. I’m being greedy wanting all of those. Bottom line I’m just thrilled to get this book.
Shawn: Never heard of it. I hope it is all you want it to be. 

AARDMAN BATMAN AND ROBIN (CLASSIC) ACTION FIGURE 2-PACK
From Aardman, the British brains behind Wallace and Gromit, comes their own unique take on the Dynamic Duo. Though one does rarely see bats and robins together, Batman and the Boy Wonder, Robin, are inseparable. Just don’t expect Robin to answer the phone.
* Action Figure * $39.95 US • On Sale May 2013
*Allocations May Occur
Jim: When I saw these are by the Wallace and Gromit creators the self imposed no action figure ban was tossed aside as I have to own these guys. I love Wallace and Gromit and this version of Batman and Robin makes me smile.
Shawn: Just looking at this Batman and Robin has me laughing out loud. Batman's expression is priceless. I too am a huge Wallace and Gromit fan, so I agree, these are great!

Jim: Alright so we are more current than ever, but I think it is important to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. All in all DC is going downhill fast. I just hope that this time Didio and company all get the boot and maybe Wacker gets hired as EIC. 
Shawn: I think DC is taking chances with lots of cool indie talent, but their overreach with their editorial teams and their lack of ability at fostering newer talent concerns me. Marvel is just better at getting indie talent on cool books. Justin Jordan's Luther Strode books are excellent and they give him...Team 7? I think personally the biggest problem at DC is the idea that the editors know more about making good comics than their talent. We will have to see what their "next Wave" is. One of these days we should get together and play DC EIC and envision the DC Comics as we would run it. I really do not trust anyone else with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment