Thursday, March 10, 2011

Can't touch this


The image above is the solicited cover for Fear Itself: Deadpool #1 and I have been staring at it for 20 minutes.

I was trying to think of what to write about for my blog post and while I was surfing the interwebs. And then I found that.

And I couldn’t do anything but look at it.

Why?

I’m not a Deadpool fan. I mean, unlike the other wet blankets here on this blog, I don’t HATE him. I can appreciate the appeal of a character that combines breaking the 4th wall with ultra violence, but I don’t love him. I usually check his stuff out based on what the creative team is. And Christopher Hastings, the author of the fantastic Dr. McNinja webcomic, is certainly good enough to get me to sit up and take notice of any book with his name on it.

But that wasn’t it. Look at how ridiculous that image is. I mean, even by Deadpool standards. That jewel encrusted hammer. The back up dancers. That jacket. Those glasses. Glittering, shining parachute pants.

I couldn’t take my eyes off it. Deadpool as MC Hammer as part of a major crossover. It’s like the pop culture snake is eating its own tail.

Keep in mind, this is going to be a comic written by a guy who once wrote a story about a ninja in space suit punching Dracula on the moon and riding a robot as a surfboard back onto the planet earth. And we’re already getting Deadpool dressed as MC Hammer before we even open the book.

I think we have an early contender for book of the year.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the cover. That is a really funny image--down to the tassels on the hammer, and the complete antithesis of any of the other Fear Itself teasers and cover images. I might be more in line with with your wet blanket co-bloggers, but this has piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't hate the character. I have no feelings whatsoever toward the character. Probably because I've never read any stories with the character.

    You're missing an important element in that cover. Two, count 'em, two Flava Flav clocks bouncing around the neck. You have MC Hammer, Flava Flav and Vanilla Ice, not to mention Thor, all in that image. I don't even need a story inside. The cover alone is highly amusing.

    ReplyDelete