Thursday, April 15, 2010

DC Preview Review for June Part 2 of 3

BATMAN BEYOND #1
On sale JUNE 30
1 of 6
32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Written by ADAM BEECHEN
Art by RYAN BENJAMIN
Cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

1:25 variant cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III
Terry McGinnis – the Batman of the future – and an elderly Bruce Wayne – the original Batman – are the sworn protectors of Neo-Gotham. But when someone targets The Dark Knight’s old foes, the new Batman must begin a case that reaches back into Bruce Wayne’s past and puts Terry’s future directly in danger!
Don’t miss the long-awaited return of the popular Batman Beyond franchise in this 6-issue adventure from Emmy Award-nominated animation writer Adam Beechen (Batman: The Brave and the Bold) and artist Ryan Benjamin (BATMAN & THE OUTSIDERS). And be sure to check out the SUPERMAN/BATMAN ANNUAL #4 from writer Paul Levitz and artist Renato Guedes starring the Batman Beyond characters!
Jim: I never got into the cartoon of Batman Beyond but I’m curious to check out this series that apparently is doing it as a straight comic book and not an animated cartoon version.
Lee: Harley Quinn successfully made the jump from cartoon to DCU. I hope that Future Batman does too… of course this just further messes with the LSH timeline.
Gwen: This should just be current Batman with Bruce in the background coordinating for Dick and Damien. And Lee, there are many LSH timelines thanks to the return of the multiverse!

BATMAN AND ROBIN #13
On sale JUNE 2
32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by FRAZER IRVING
Cover by FRANK QUITELY
1:25 variant cover by FRAZER IRVING
Writer Grant Morrison is joined by artist Frazer Irving (BATMAN: RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE) for the first chapter of a 3-part epic!
Thomas Wayne – a man believed murdered over 20 years ago – has returned with an incredible tale to tell, and he’s claiming the entire Wayne fortune! He’s slyly demanding that Bruce Wayne must return if Bruce wishes to oppose the claim! Plus, the long-awaited return of the ultimate Batman villain!
Jim: I love Frazer Irving’s artwork, but on Batman and Robin? Yikes, I don’t know if the regular reading public will sign off on this. By the way has anyone seen the end of Gutsville?
Lee: I don’t think any readers will leave because of the art. If anything, it might bring some new ones one. Irving is perfect for this. Then again, I’ve see a lot of his 2000AD work so I know how good he is.
Gwen:I can't say that I'm drawn in by this concept or the art. Oh well.

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #2
On sale JUNE 23
40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art and cover by YILDIRAY CINAR & WAYNE FAUCHER
1:10 Variant cover by JIM LEE
Paul Levitz and rising star artist Yildiray Cinar (TEEN TITANS) continue their run on the Legion as a Legionnaire decides whether to remain with the team – or join the Green Lantern Corps! Also, in the explosive aftermath of last issue, Saturn Girl must find her missing children and face the possibility that they may be dead! And don’t miss Paul Levitz’s look at the early days of the Legion of Super-Heroes over in ADVENTURE COMICS #12 on sale this month!
Jim: I’m just happy to see the LOSH and having Levitz writing it makes me a little giddy. Yeah, I know it is the second issue Lee, but I’m still giddy.
Lee: Yippee. Jump for Jehovah I’m sooooo happy.
Gwen: *dances with unrestrained glee*

POWER GIRL #13
On sale JUNE 23
32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Written by JUDD WINICK
Art and cover by SAMI BASRI
Power Girl dives headfirst into the next chapter of her life on Earth with new series writer Judd Winick (JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST) and artist Sami Basri (THE SHIELD)! And what events will draw her to her former JLI teammates from JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST?
Jim: I will continue with this book for a few issues, but they will be hard pressed to follow the act that left this book.
Lee: I’m not a fan of Winick’s writing but this does sound good. Winick has a great sense of humor and I bet this turns out far better than you think.
Gwen:This has been a decent book so far but I still have a hard time caring about this character. That and her costume bothers me. Much like the costume Zantanna is wearing below bothers me. Every woman does not have huge... tracks of land. But there seems to be a lot of them with superpowers, that's for sure. And no, I'm not a feminist, I just don't care to stare at giant breasts 90% of the times I pick up a comic with a female lead.
Lee: ...ummm YEAH! You tell'em Gwen. Large tracts of land should be limited to something like 80 or 85 percent of the time. 90% is just way to much. It should be something like 84 and 3/4%!!!
Jim: Wait you want to reduce the amount of super breast? I don't know if the male comic fans could accept that.

ZATANNA #2
On sale JUNE 23
32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Written by PAUL DINI
Art by STEPHANE ROUX & KARL STORY
Cover by STEPHANE ROUX
1:10 Variant Cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
In dreams, you’re his! Zatanna’s attempt to intimidate Brother Night backfires when his servant, the nightmare imp Fuseli, attacks her where she’s most vulnerable – the landscape of her dreams! If he has his way, this sleeping beauty will never wake up…
Continuing the exciting new ongoing series from bestselling writer Paul Dini and acclaimed artist Stephane Roux!
Jim: Checking out the cover I think “Z” may over take Power Girl in the largest rack category. Of course she is magical, in many ways.
Lee: Eh, I don’t know. I’d say she’s bigger than Montoya but smaller than Starfire. I wonder if Wonder Woman complains because no one talks about her boobs.
Gwen:Her breasts have always been normal sized before, but you get a free upgrade when you're the lead character in a series *rolls eyes*.
Lee: What? Starfire has eyes? I never knew she had eyes. Wow. That's a pretty cool upgrade.


DC COMICS CLASSICS LIBRARY: THE BATMAN ANNUALS VOL. 2 HC
On sale AUGUST 25
336 pg, FC, $39.99 US
Writer/Artists: Various
Cover by DICK SPRANG
Batman’s 80-Page Giant Annuals issues #4-7 are collected in this volume including “The Secret Marriage of Batman and Batwoman,” “The Phantom of the Batcave,” “The First Batman,” plus appearances by Giant Batman, Rip Van Batman, Zebra Batman, Merman Batman and more.
Jim: This era of Batman was so ridiculous and hokey, but hey I have to get this stuff. It is fun to read, but not cover to cover, a story here and there.
Lee: You already have a huge collection of ridiculous and hokey because you own most of the DC Archives. Do you really need more? And, if you aren’t going to read it because it’s painfully bad… why get it?
Jim: I will read it, just not all at once.
Gwen:Actually it could be kind of amusing - like Plant Man!


Part 3 Tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Gwen -
    Just what do you think makes one a feminist? It's not a pejorative, or at least it shouldn't be. Of course, neither should liberal be a pejorative...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomm, language is like and organism, always growing and changing. I have no idea what motivates people to declare themselves feminists as "feminists" vary in opinion. I am simply saying I am not overly concerned with the Women-in -Refrigerators debate. I have gotten into arguments with many women who read comics about how comics demean or sexualize women and I usually disagree. I don't usually feel that comics (such as the Kyle/Alex incident) are attempting to demean women. I was attempting to say that while I'm tired of Power Girl's ridiculous breasts I don't find it personally offensive - just visually unappealing and vaguely unrealistic. And yes, superpowers are unrealistic too. But as a heterosexual woman I just get tired of all the giant breasts in comics.

    ReplyDelete