Friday, July 04, 2008

A Fistful of Reviews


B.P.R.D. : The Ectoplasmic Man (Dark Horse)


This was a really neat little one shot as I enjoyed both the art and the story. It's always nice to read a comic that is a story unto itself, especially with all the crossovers and events these days. Highly enjoyable :)




Hercules #3 (Radical Comics)


This is a solid book - kudos to Radical comics for producing high quality books so far. Still, this isn't really my cup of tea. I have a hard time with bloody war and sex filled comics (while I get Conan I only really liked it when Cary Nord - who's art is just amazing in such a setting - and Kurt Busiek were the creators... these days I read em and pass them along to a friend). It's just not terribly interesting to me and as such I'm not all that into this book. However, anyone who does like barbarian-war genre stories would really enjoy this book. The art's great and the story is well written.



Green Lantern #32 (DC)


I've really been enjoying this retold Hal Jordan GL origin story. It's definitely Johns rewriting GL history to suit his Corps plots, but it's still a lot of fun to read. I think it's the first time Abin Sur's death has been investigated - and explained.



Teen Titans #60 (DC)


Despite the fact that the Terror Titans arc has been interesting I still feel like this team is in a perpetual state of falling apart. Is the whole point of this book going to be to follow each Titan as they have mental breakdowns? Will we ever see this group as a functioning team? I'm maybe a tad bit disillusioned with all things Titans right now seeing how bad the original team relaunch has been, but I still wish this book would build some solid foundations for the Teen Titans.



Trinity #4 (DC)

Batman is cool. However, I'm not sure how often I see him frightening innocent people on purpose - even if it's for there own good. It was funny, but still a bit off key. The back up story is still intriguing, and the art is still good. I continue to have faith in Kurt Busiek's story telling ability and I enjoyed this issue.



Ultimate Spiderman #123 (Marvel)


Ah, the only good Spiderman book around - excepting this issue was blah. Venom's personal horror story = BORING. This issue felt like filler to me.




X-Men First Class #13 (Marvel)


I love this book. I was especially fascinated by Beast building his monstrous sloth skeleton, that was excellent. This X-men book is fantastic and I'm glad to still have X-Men stories worth reading, even if they are focused on the good ol' days.




Uncanny X-Men #499 (Marvel)

I don't even know what was happening with the Russian crew in this issue, waaay to dark and confusing. The resolution to the hippie story was okay. The rescue of the governor of San Francisco was cute. I still don't like Emma Frost. Overall,I can't decide if I like this book or not half the time but at least I still like some of the team.



Superman #677 (DC)


Man, Superman sure knows how to rub salt in GL's wound. I mean, c'mon, you don't tell the guy who got taken over by a fear eating parasite and slaughtered many of his friends, that hey, as long as you have a woman and a dog every thing is a-okay. Geeze Superman, way to be sensitive! Anyway, this issue was alright. I cared more about the Science Police than Supes though. Which may have been the point...



Final Crisis #2 (DC)


More interesting than last issue. Still, as much as it picked up I have a hard time seeing how this is going to remain within just these books - I mean, the Daily Planet blowing up? Are we going to see that in the Superman books? Is Batman R.I.P. going to intersect with any of this? Is Trinity? I'm very confused with how any of this is going to work out.




Uglies - Scott Westerfeld


My boss lent me this book (and the next one as well). I was hesitant about reading these as the story sounded somewhat cliché - a future society where at 16 everyone undergoes surgery to become pretty, possibly at the loss of who they are as a person (though they are unaware of that consequence). Still, once I started reading it I became intrigued. The characters, with the exception of Tally, are somewhat simplistic, but the plot is fantastic. I've only gotten 2/3rds of the way through the trilogy but I've really enjoyed what I've read so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment