Monday, March 03, 2008

What I’m Getting Wednesday

This is another relatively large week which is just proof that I need to cut my list down even more. Two weeks ago I dropped six books (Drafted was a late cancellation). Last week I have dropped three more books as of this writing and I have preemptively cancelled two other series that were on my list to add as upcoming titles. Even with all of that my list clocks in at 42 items. My other strategy is to stay away from meaningless mini-series and then as the mini-series end on my list and I have not replaced them it should reduce my list to something in the realm of semi-reason. The market report from this small corner of the comic word is DC 19 titles (45%), Independents 17 titles (41%) and Marvel 6 titles (14%). As time progresses DC should take the biggest hit with this plan as I have avoided a lot of new mini-series from them (Huntress, Cyborg and Raven to name a few). A five week month should help also.

Atom #21 – New writer Rick (Fear Agent) Remender comes on board and I’m anxious to see what he can do with Ryan. DC has been doing a good job of following up a really strong writer (Gail Simone) with another strong talent. Remender maybe new to many DC fans, but I have enjoyed Sorrow, Fear Agent and other great books that Rick has written and believe he should do a fine job on this book.

Countdown Presents Lord Havok and The Extremists #5 (of 6) – This has been a very enjoyable mini-series, but I think these guys were all killed when Universe 51 blew up. I hope this group survives and turn up in the main DCU as either bad guys or misunderstood good guys. Frank Tieri and Liam Sharp have done such a nice job with this mini-series I want to see more of them.

Countdown to Adventure #7 (of 8) – At this point I’m just following this book to see how it concludes. It is sad that a book that has Adam Strange and Animal Man could fall so flat for me. I think an eight issue story about a plague on two worlds was too long. The Forerunner character feels like she is a throw away character as she did not play any role of any importance in Countdown and her story has gone off the rails.

Countdown to Final Crisis #8 – The good news is that DC has me counting down with them. The final issue of Countdown comes out on April 23 and this true Crisis will be over. I’m sure there is some good premise behind the overall story; it is just there has never been any real pay off for reading this series. Trinity sounds a lot better and the break between weekly titles is a good thing.

Detective Comics #842 – Detective has become the spot for one and done stories about Batman, which is fine as we do not need multi-part epics on every comic series. Peter Milligan steps in as a guest-writer this issue with a story about Batman investigating the armor Talia gave him during the Ras As Ghul resurrection story.

Infinity Inc #7 – This has been a very different take on a super group book and so far they are not even a team at all, just ex-members of Luthor’s Infinity Inc. from 52. Still the story has been decent, but what has me wanting to hang around even more is that with issue #8, Pete Woods comes on as the regular artist.

Green Lantern #28 – Continuing the introduction to the Alpha Lanterns. Knowing that the Alpha Lanterns have a role to play in Final Crisis ups my interest in this series even more. What is funny about this book is the GL story has gotten so dominate that we hardly ever seen any private life for Hal Jordan.

Jonah Hex #29 – The best western on the comic stands and almost every issue is a gem. Also almost every issue is a one and done story, so you do not have to invest in signing up for a series, just buy an issue and try it. This issue's official hype “While in pursuit of some criminals in the deadly Devil's Paw rock formation, Jonah Hex becomes a prisoner of the Tribe of the Red Scorpion. If he can manage to escape, will he be ready for what waits for him outside their cave dwelling?”

Justice League New Frontier Special – This is an easy buy for me. I loved the mini-series so much I have the Absolute Edition and a friend has sent the new DVD to me, so I can watch the animated version. One of the best series every done in my opinion and I hope the new story is also enjoyable.

Nightwing #142 – I can’t thank Peter Tomasi and Rags Morales enough for making Nightwing a good series again. It has been a long time since I smiled seeing that the next issue of Nightwing was coming back. As I liked this character so much I have been trying to be positive of what has come before, but the time between Chuck Dixon and Peter Tomasi are years best forgotten.

Supergirl #27 – Yes I’m buying, no I can not justify it.

Teen Titans Year One #3 (of 6) – This light hearted look at the beginnings of the Teen Titans has surprised me in how much I have enjoyed it. The almost cartoon like art is so well done and laid out that the book reads easily as it is matched by a great script.

Midnighter #17 – Love the cover. The new art team of Lee Garbett and Rick Burchett have made it easier to stay on this book. Keith Giffen normally brings me into a book and I’m happy following his work, but the whole Anthem thing has not worked for me. Still it has been good enough to not be cancelled and is one of the few Wildstorm Universe books I buy.

The New Dynamix #1 (of 5) - The writer Allan Warner (Ninja Boy) has this premise “Where have all the heroes gone? That's what Lady Love — a Bay Area disc jockey — wants to know. Her alter ego, Love Rocket, is trying to keep her city from falling to pieces, but it's not easy. During a mission, her crime-fighting partner does such a good job attacking a hostage-taker that he puts a child's life in danger — while a TV news crew catches all the action. Their broadcast grabs a lot of attention from various people…including a WildStorm super-powered -being who's been out of commission for years. Will this shock him into action?” So I thought I would try it out. It is a WU book, so I’m going in with great trepidation.

Exterminators #27 – This is sort of a breather issue before we begin the final battle between the Bug-god Atan and the Bug Bee Gone Exterminators. I believe I read this series is ending, but it has been a very good series and if true I would hate to so it go.

Northlanders #4 – This is already a good series and the story of Sven pulling his plan together to retake his inheritance has been a well done. I give a lot of credit to Vertigo getting behind a Viking era adventure story.

Scalped #15 – The toughest and grittiest crime noir book around. This issue’s official hype “"Dead Mothers" Part 3 of 5. Officer Dash Bad Horse's murder investigation is going nowhere, even before the arrival of the mysterious and deadly Mr. Brass and his little black bag of pain. Has Brass come to aid in the investigation or to shut it down?”

Vinyl Underground #6 – This series has not hooked me yet and I’m almost ready to bail on it. The cast has not clicked with me 100% and the stories do not stick, so that when I read the next issue I’m usually lost for a few pages. I’m not sure why as this is well written and well drawn, just not hitting it out of the park for me (baseball starts soon).

Young Liars #1 – Writer/Artist David Lapham has his newest creation under the Vertigo imprint. I never read Stray Bullets, but have heard many good things about the first story arc and then mixed reviews from there. Still I like to try out new things, just not totally wowed by the premise “At the core of YOUNG LIARS is the disturbing relationship between Danny Noonan, a habitual liar and crap guitar player from Texas, and Sadie Dawkins, the object of his desire. Sadie was a poor little rich girl until a bullet lodged in her brain turned her into an adrenaline junkie who only listens to Danny.
But who shot Sadie only part of the mystery that drives YOUNG LIARS, from the twisted club scene of lower Manhattan to absurdist hijinx on the high seas. And from the hot shores of Ibiza to the haunted castles of Spain, Danny, Sadie and their entourage of losers will run from poorly disguised assassins, demented billionaires, and psychotic midgets — not to mention each other — in an absurd quest to get rich and famous. Or kill each other trying. YOUNG LIARS will provide relentless action, suspense, sex and murder in the way that only David Lapham can deliver.”

Chronicles of Conan TP Volume 14 – Continuing the reprints of the Conan series from Marvel comics. This takes us up to around issue #110 or something, but that is it for me. I do not need anymore old Conan material in trades. I will enjoy this, just after a while enough of a certain type of material is enough.

End League #2 – The second chapter of the new series by Rick (Fear Agent) Remender and Matt Broome. I don’t have a handle of this series yet and it is another group of heroes that I have to get to know. Also they are all new characters, so that means it will take a few issues in to see if I like this book or not. Lately we have had so many new super groups I have character overload at times.


Goon Fancy Pants Hard Covers Volume 2 – I can kick myself for missing the first volume as it now is selling for $50/60 on E-Bay all the time. This is only a $25 hard cover, so it is an easy choice. The official hype “This special volume collects all the tales of one of The Goon’s most nefarious villains—the diabolical mad scientist, Dr. Hieronymous Alloy—in one handsomely designed (and handsomely priced) signed hardcover. Chronicling the rise of the mysterious evil genius from his early days as a misunderstood visionary, to his status as one of the finest scientific minds in the world, and finally to his inevitable spiral into madness, this hardcover is a must-have for every serious fan of the Goon. What’s more, every volume is signed by Powell himself. Buying this book should be like dodging a brick—a no-brainer!“ True!

Dominion #5 (of 5) – Wrapping up what has been a fantastic mini-series from BOOM Studios. The last two issues have been great and I’m looking forward to see how it ends. I’m 90% there on buying the trade. This is a cool sci-fi tale of an alien virus that gives super-powers to people and the resulting chaos that occurs.

Grimm Fairy Tales #23 – What the heck is going on with this book? Three issues in three weeks! The bad news is this book still goes too far with the good girl artwork, the good news is the stories are getting better and for a weekly book it is better then Countdown. It is not really weekly it is just an anomoly as they catch up or something.

Dead Space #1 (of 6) – This series is a prequel to a forthcoming video game. This is an interesting idea to publish a mini-series that serves as back story for a new video game. I no longer play video games, but the source of the premise is never a negative as books to comics, comics to movies, etc. are happening all the time. Getting Anthony (Wasteland) Johnston as writer and Ben (Fell, Wormwood Gentlemen Corpse) Templesmith as the talent is unusual. The one line premise sets the stage “DEAD SPACE tells the gut-wrenching tale of a deep space mining colony that unexpectedly pulls an ancient and vicious alien life force from the dark rock.” Now it sounds like space vampires or zombies, but if done well it could be good and this talent has the potential to make it work.

Dynamo 5 #11 – Continuing the exploits of one of my favorite super hero groups. Now talk about having too many new groups, this book made it easy to learn who the characters are from issue #1, so that I was immediately vested in them. This issue Slingshot is in trouble and Maddie is stopping her team mates from helping her.

Graveslinger #4 (of 4) – Concluding this tale of the undead and the man who is trying to return them to their graves set in the old west. Oh and for good measure they are in the middle of a range war.

Invincible Presents Atom/Eve #2 (of 2) – Love the character and I loved the story in the first issue, but the artwork was garish for a story about this drop dead gorgeous super heroine. While we are in the Invincible universe I have to say that Invincible has been a little lagging lately as I feel like it is being stretched to reach a major climax in issue #50. Robert Kirkman is usually better then that, but 50 is a huge deal in the independent publishing arena.


Pax Romana #2 (of 4) – Jonathan (Nightly News) Hickman’s alternative earth sage continues. This is a very dense book, but is worth reading. It is about time travel, papal hierarchies and the glory of Rome continuing till today.

North Wind #3 (of 5) – Wow this book is just flying out. I would always swear the book is coming out early. Ever since Mark Waid joined BOOM the production problems that they had have disappeared and the company has been humming along on all cylinders and has had a couple of sell out titles. Last issue the central character of this book grew up from a little boy into a young man in his prime. This issue Pak goes back to Lost Angeles to revenge his mother, who was killed by the leader of that city. So far a very good post apocalyptic story and wonderful art by Alex Cal who is slated to do some Spider-Man work soon.

Space Double #2 – See our review here. I love this cover and would love to own it. Space Doubles is a great premise, where you get two Outer Limit type stories for the price of one. I know way too many people ignore small press books, but try it and buy it. If you don’t like I will be bitterly disappointed.

Resurrection #3 – This is another of my after the world ends books. I keep hoping for some sort of calamity and then I can travel over broken highways and roads to reunite with my family as I fight through the remnants of civilization. These series need time to develop and Marc Guggenheim is doing a great job of making it interesting as we go. He is giving us close and personal views and also exploring a bigger picture of the impact to the world.

Echo #1 – The first issue from Terry Moore of "Strangers in Paradise" fame. I never read Stangers in Paradise, but I heard a lot of good things about the story and I’m looking forward to Echo. The premise: “Echo” is the story of a young photographer named Julie Martin. “Julie becomes the unwilling host to a symbiotic nuclear weapon, then decides to run rather than return it to the corrupt scientist who wants it back” Of course Julie Martin is a cool name, but would anyone be a willing host to a symbiotic nuclear weapon?

Comic Book Comics #1 – The history of Comic Books brought to you by Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey, who gave us the wonderful Action Philosophers. I can not wait to see how they educate and entertain us yet again. Now this subject I have read a lot about it, so I wonder how much new I can learn.

Streets of Glory #4 (of 6) – Garth Ennis’ take on a tale of the American West. It has been an interesting story so far, a little too much graphic violence, but this is an Avatar book after all.

The Sisterhood #1 (of 3) – Nuns with swords fighting off demons. You can not go wrong with that type of premise. A lot more then that, but the full scoop can be seen here. It was the creators that drew me in the most with Chris (Talent) Golden as co-writer and Wellington (Nova) Alves on art.

Logan #1 (of 3) – Normally this mini-series would be an easy pass for me. I mean really another mini-series about Wolverine, who has two of his own titles and stars in X-Force, New Avengers and everywhere else, we haven't seen too much of this character have we? But when the writer is Brian K. Vaughn, well that did not sway me, the artist is Eduardo Risso, then I’m sold. Mr. Risso is a top notch artist who will finally be discovered by the Marvel Zombie crowd. This Argentine artist is one of the best in the business. I have read a fair amount of his work from Argentina that has been translated and love his work in 100 Bullets, so that finally sealed the deal for me.

Cable #1 – Now this series I’m going in with the thought process that I maybe canceling it after one issue. I like to try out different stuff, but the premise appears to be Cable as a single parent time hopping or whatever around the Marvel Universe trying to raise the one new mutant born into the world.

Iron Man Demon in a Bottle Hard Cover – A nice deluxe format reprint of this classic Iron Man story. This collects Iron Man #120-#128. This was a good story and showed Tony facing being an alcoholic and taking the steps to be a recovered alcoholic. Of course this story also set the tone for Iron Man forever and now he is almost glorified as brilliant drunken sot, which is a shame. The story was to show his heroic nature in overcoming a weakness, now it is almost as though we think it is cool that he is a constantly drunken super hero.

The Twelve #3 (of 12) – I have been absolutely loving this series and it is a great story of time lost heroes dealing with a 63 year time displacement. This has to be J. Michael Straczynski’s best comic in a long time. Chris Weston’s art is a great fit for this series also as his realistic style keeps an older feel to the book. I’m not sure why Doc. Savage is on this issue’s cover.

Penance Relentless #5 (of 5) – The concluding chapter of what has been a terrific mini-series focuses on Robbie Baldwin. Looking forward to seeing how it wraps up. I loved last issue’s confrontation with Dr. Doom.

Uncanny X-Men #496 – The “groovy” X-Men saga continues as San Francisco transforms into a bizarre 1968 version of itself. (Okay bizarre 1968 is almost redundant). I’m hanging around to issue #500, but I’m almost done with the X-Men. I have plenty of hard cover reprints of the best stories and Marvel is afraid to really move the group forward, so I starting to think I’m done with them.

That wraps another big week. Normally first week of the month are slow and there are no real “wow” can’t wait for it books, but not this week. A bunch of number one issues, a couple mini-series wrapping up, series with new creators and some favorite series have new issues hitting the stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment