Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Something Serious for Once

So, another week, another entry. I must say, I give Jim credit for doing this everyday because it isn’t easy. I do it once a week and that’s more than enough…

ANYWAY, it's been a weird week. With all the events, it's made me more introspective. For those that don't know, I live in south western Virginia and unless you live in a cave, things haven’t been the best here this week.

I'm really not even sure where to begin. As a general statement, and I think I speak for all readers of this blog, that our thoughts and prayers go out to the families that lost someone and to those who will forever be scarred by this incident.

Going forward, there is lots of healing to be done and now isn’t the time to point fingers. Were there mistakes made? Sure there were. Could things have been done differently? Probably. Did the people involved do the best they could? I believe that they did. It was an extraordinary situation and I think there were many people with the courage to do things that help others. Honestly, I hope we hear more of those stories and less video of a sad, tortured soul that felt he needed to kill to be heard.

Is the media helping right now with the massive coverage? I don't think so. Is that an indictment of our media system that sensationalizes everything? Maybe. Is it an indictment of a society that loves to look at the train wreck? Maybe that too. But I don't think this is the time to talk gun control or what if the situation. I think now is the time to help the survivors and support them as we can.

The only thing I do know, a parents absolute, worst nightmare... bar none.. is losing their child. I can't imagine losing mine. They are my world. I am sure Jim and Matthew and all parents who read this feel the same way. I think now is the time to take a second and make sure you tell those around you how much they mean to you.

I am fortunate enough not to have lost anyone and for that, I am thankful. And, I made sure that I gave my kids an extra hug this week just in case something should ever happen.

If anyone from Va Tech reads this… our thoughts are with you now!

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. The coverage has been intrusive and I have also been bothered by people using this as an excuse to push an agenda even if I agree with waht they are saying - wrong time.

    My thoughts are with the people who lost loved ones and I believe nothing - nothing - is harder then losing a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Lee.

    Tomorrow is Hokie Hope: Maroon and Orange Effect day. Students, Alumni, Family and friends will be wearing the school colors or their Tech gear worldwide as a show of support. I've got my maroon University Bookstore T-shirt already laid out. I love the school's colors because they remind me of Autumn (and Maroon/Burgandy is my favorite color too).

    I think out of anger I was initially upset with the VT administration, but when I heard they had a suspect in custody off-campus for the first shooting, it made much more sense that they thought the way that they did. Barring someone with X-ray vision and super-speed, I think Cho would have just taken his rage out on a different group of students, if anything had been different in the university's response.

    I'm pretty sick of the media coverage myself. Especially, the stuff released today.

    I long to go down to Blacksburg and pay my respects in person. I feel like I need to be there. Pam and I both feel that way. We're trying to get in touch with our old Tech friends, so we can grieve together. Loganathan was my good friend, Dan's graduate school adviser. Does other people feel this way about their school? I'm sure it's not unique to VT -- it just is home to me down there. So many formative events happened down there, including falling in love with my beloved wife. We normally stop down there on our way to NC in October, but hopefully, we'll get down there before that this year.

    I know the President is not very popular and I don't agree with some of the things he does, but I thought his address at the convocation was heartfelt, sincere and perfect. He can be a great comforter in times of national crisis, like he did immediately after 9-11.

    I heard an inspiring story about one student whose family was thinking she'd want to come home right after the tragic events. Instead, following the convocation and the candlelight service, she said "I'm never going to leave!" (Which I took to mean she'd like to get a job at or near the school after she graduates).

    'Night everybody.

    ReplyDelete